Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Merry Christmas and Other Evil Thoughts

Hey Gang,
  First of all, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you guys. Thanks for reading all year long. You guys are the best!
  Now, I feel like I need to combine a few things. A "two-fer", if you will. It's that time of year again. When Atheists get their panties all in a bunch over nativity scenes, Mayors of small towns think they can get away with putting up "Holiday" trees in the town square, and the local high school band gets ready to put on their annual "Winter" concert.
  But this year, there is a cherry on the cake of all of this madness. Tim Tebow.  I realize that the last person Tim or anyone else expects to defend him is a Wiccan. But that is exactly what I want to do.
  What is the big deal?! I don't understand.  Why do people seem to be so offended by Christianity?  America was founded on Judeo-Christian principles.  It is what makes the system imperfect at times, it is what makes the system work all the time.
  I don't have a problem with Tim Tebow praying after a win.  I don't have a problem with my neighbor's nativity scene.  I am a person who is secure enough in my faith and my beliefs that I don't feel the need to get outraged when someone else expresses theirs.  Is it that we have become such an "anything goes" society that we see it somehow as someone trying to say they are better than us if they openly try to live their faith?  If that is the case, then at the risk of getting really deep, do all of us need to look inward and honestly examine what it is about Tim Tebow getting down on one knee to pray after a victory or people saying "Merry Christmas" that automatically puts us on the defensive, makes us uncomfortable, and leads us right into "offended"?
  As someone who rarely gets their holidays recognized, with the possible exception of Halloween, you might think I have a big problem with all of this Christianity going on around me.  But in the grand scheme of what is going on in the world around us, it seems pretty minor.  So if it is not offending any of my Pagan or Wiccan brethren, I am going to eat Christmas cookies, listen to my "A Charlie Brown Christmas" CD, and look at my beautiful Christmas tree.  Then I will go to work and listen to my co-worker's Christmas music.
And oh, one more thing...Happy Winter Solstice!    

No comments:

Post a Comment