Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 14, 2011

GOP's Big Day In Iowa

Hey Everyone,
  Well yesterday, as a Wiccan, I observed the Full Moon.  A full moon can effect everything from ocean tides to the Iowa GOP Straw Poll.  At the end of the day, Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann came in first with 28% of the over four thousand votes cast.  Texas Congressman Ron Paul came in a close second with 27% of the vote.  I think a few people, including myself were a little surprised that  former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, and former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich did not participate.  Kind of a dumb move I thought.  Granted, we are still fifteen months out, but this is a great way for everyone to kind of get a snapshot of just where the candidates stand at this point.
  The heavy turnout of Ron Paul supporters was expected.  It is usually heavy for such gatherings as these. But I also think that Michele Bachmann's victory is surprising for the Chris Matthews-es of the world because before yesterday, I don't think they took her candidacy seriously at all. Last week's "Newsweek" cover is enough proof of that. 
  See, I think the Democrats have kind of a entitlement mentality when it comes to the first African-American candidate/President, the first female candidate, etc.  If Michele Bachmann continues to do well, perhaps even win the nomination, it makes Liberals sweat.  That is not how it is supposed to be! 
  I was happy as a woman to see Michele Bachmann take the Straw Poll. But I would be ecstatic to not only see her win the nomination, but also the Presidency. Not only because I think she is eminently qualified, and with Obama's approval numbers across the board the way they are now, I believe she just might win. But also, wouldn't it be great fun to get a first for the GOP that Democrats have always believed is theirs just by virtue of their existence?  Oh yeah, BIG fun!            

No comments:

Post a Comment