Total Pageviews

Monday, August 13, 2012

Lessons From The Campaign Trail

Last week was a long week. Maybe because I am on vacation this week. It was also a hard week. One that I did not think was going to end so quietly.
  At the risk of telling my life story on a blog, I am working on a career change. Something in Politics. I haven't quite narrowed it down yet, but something. So I worked on my first campaign. A Congressional campaign. It was fun, educational, sometimes surprising, and a lot of work. But last week in particular, it was sad. We lost.
  You at least try to be a grown-up about the whole thing. After all, you win some, you loose some right? You suck it up, put your big boy pants on, and life goes on. You try to pinpoint where you might have gone wrong, and vow to do better next time. Usually one of life's lessons learned early on.
  But as I sat with my fellow campaign workers watching election results, I knew that each one of us was feeling the same way. We were sure the numbers were going to get better. It was still early. As it got later though, the numbers were not getting any better. Finally, I knew I had to leave. I still had a paying day job I had to get up early for. Nobody wanted to leave. Leaving would make it final. But we did. Maybe it sounds a bit silly, but we were all a little teary-eyed and were trying not to show it. We had all worked so hard.
  On the way home, I felt such a sense of loss. Not just because we had lost the election, but this had been such a big part of my life the past few months. What now? I didn't sleep well that night. Perhaps it was a combination of realizing that the next step was not going to take place, and too much Kentucky Fried Chicken.
  When my alarm went off the next morning, I stumbled to the shower as usual. As I started to wake up, I realized that yes, this was an ending of sorts, but it was also a very important beginning. I had my own projects in the works that I could now devote more time to, but as a group, I knew that we were definitely not done. We had other ideas and possibilities we were kicking around. The world, at least this corner of it, had not seen the last of us.
  I have met amazing people in the last few months. People I am so honored to call my friends. They have taught me a lot, and given me some valued experience to take with me as I maneuver along the career-change path. I know because of them, that path will have a few less bumps in it than it might have had. I have always been one of those people who never quite knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. I think I might just know now.

1 comment:

  1. Everything happens for a reason. I met a great group of people last month on the same Congressional campaign, people I feel like I have known for years. They were the boost I needed at this time in my life. I thank each one of them for giving me a new--and interesting--perspective on life :).

    ReplyDelete